I believe that by now many of us have tried or at least heard of crochet braids- a style that is achieved by cornrowing the hair and latching the desired installation hair into the cornrows.
For the past 2 months, I myself have been wearing crochet braids and I plan to for a looong time.
The most popular hair now being used for this style is 100% Kanekalon hair. (Yes, the one we use for box braids also).
I’ll tell you why almost everybody loves this hair. 100% Kanekalon hair is CHEAP. In addition to this it is very versatile. It can be worn straight kinky, curled or made straight by several processes (Flat-ironing on low heat or blowdrying). This hair is, in conclusion REALLY worth it, and looks very natural no matter what you do with it. My only little problem is that Kanekalon hair sheds a lot. But honestly, I’m willing to put up with the shedding for all those great benefits mentioned above.
The following YouTube videos have demonstrated how natural Kanekalon Crochet braids looks:
- Kanekalon Crochet Braids
- Crochet Braids with Kanekalon
- Yes! Another Crochet Vid with Kanekalon Hair
- Crochet Braids (Kanekalon) Straight
For those of you who are entirely new to Crochet Braids you can check out these how-to videos:
If you are interested in doing your own crochet braids, the method is not as complicated as it may seem at first. Give it a try!
If you’re still unsure whether crochet braids are for you, check out the PROS and CONS list I’ve put together.
- Crochet braids are very cheap
- They can be worn kinky, straight and can be curled
- You can create a cornrow a pattern that will allows a lot of versitality when styling
- Kanelon hair looks very natural
- You may still have access to your hair in order to take care of it
- Kanekalon hair comes in many colours (You can choose, mix and match colours where you want. Create highlights, layers and fringes… many possibilities)
- You can also determine the length of hair
- Hair sheds like crazy
- Time consuming method
(Two little CONS that we can get over. This is why we love Kanekalon Crochet Braids.)