Last month, I spent a great deal of time sorting through some books that I have at home. I needed some age-appropriate books for a younger relative, and I knew that I could find some among mine. However, it wasn’t that easy. Although I did find some books that I loved at her age, they were fewer than I expected and I knew there must have been a trillion more books that I had read and loved.
I know that there are a lot of people wondering where to start when buying books for young readers. I hope that my list can give you a start. Some of these books and series even I myself still enjoy. Have fun!
1. The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes Series by Anne Mazer
A great series about family and school life, and their ups and downs. ‘Little writers’ would especially like these books.
2. Here’s to you, Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume
A story about family, friends, school-life, sibling-issues and trying to perfect it all..or at least keep it together.
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series by Jeff Kinney
Even the not-so-occasional readers will enjoy this.
4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
5. Malory Towers Series by Enid Blyton
6. Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
7. Nancy Drew Series by Carolyn Keene (for ya mystery lovers)
8. The Hardy Boys Series by Franklin W. Dixon
(another one for the mystery lovers)
9. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Series by Ann Brashares
10. Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal
11. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
12. The Baby Sitters Club Series by Ann M. Martin
13. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
14. Goosebumps Series by R. L. Stine